Fall Public Programs
September 30, 2023, 10:30 – 12 noon. Harvesting Rainwater For Wildlife. Ranger Dylan Frentzel is the manager of Rio Grande Nature Center State Park and Manzano Mountains State Park. During his career he has had the pleasure of helping install, inspect and maintain several guzzlers and drinkers for wildlife. In this presentation he will share some basic information about harvesting rainwater for wildlife. He will also be sharing personal observations and pictures of wildlife utilizing these human made oases.
October 14, 2023, 9am – 12noon. Ring of Fire Eclipse! Staff and volunteers will have at least three spotting scopes specially adapted for solar use set up in the overflow parking lot. The park will have a limited supply of free solar glasses for attendees. The partial eclipse will begin at 9:13 am and end by 12:09pm. In Albuquerque, the duration of annularity will be 4 minutes and 48 seconds with the maximum annularity at 10:37am. Parking will be limited, when the lot is full, no other vehicles will be permitted to enter. Never look directly at the sun without proper solar eye protection. To learn more about safe eclipse viewing, visit http://www.nps.gov/articles/
November 4, 2023, 10:30-12 noon. Join Nathan Pieplow, author of Peterson’s Guide to Bird Sounds of North America, for a fascinating and entertaining program about how birds talk and what they have to say.
Face coverings are encouraged but not required inside the Visitor Center.
- Social distancing is required; step aside as needed where our paths are less than 6 feet wide.
- Walk-in and bike-in visitation are allowed.
- The west gate to the bosque trails is open; the bike and bosque trails can be accessed from the park.
- Service dogs only; no pets.
- Day-use fees or display of applicable permit are required; check or exact change only please. Day-use permits can be purchased with a credit card at https://www.reserveamerica.
- State Parks annual day use and camping permits are available for sale with check or exact change only. Please call the park for questions about the extension of expired camping permits.
- Friends memberships are available on-line, at the Visitor Center or through the mail.